Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2012 A Year in Review



 January 23, 2013

I got a cool email from a local Chamber of Commerce of which I’m a member.  They outlined 10 things they did for their members in 2012.  I thought – “how neat!”.  We should do that for our clients.  You know, outline 10 things we did for them in 2012 – it’s a simple nice way to show we are bringing VALUE to them – and toot our own horn at the same time. 

Then I thought (light-bulb moment coming), “Hey I should do that for me!”

So I said to myself: “Self, What did I do for you this last year? How did I provide value to you in this so-called-crazy-life-journey?

Hmmm… could I even think of 10 things? 
(Nails rapping – LOUDLY – on table)

Darn!  Could I even think of 5 things?

Strangely, 2012 was filled with lots of highs and lows.   Month by month it was an extremely odd, yet interesting year.

1. January – was 5 lbs up.  I ramped up my workouts and healthy eating ensued.
Overlying theme was on Health.

2. February – overcome by vertigo in the middle of the night.  Put a damper on my working out (dizziness was awful).  All I could do was walk and some days that was challenging. Stayed sane for the next 3 months by counting my blessings and focusing on what I could do rather than what I couldn’t, especially on the bad days.
Overlying theme was on being kind and patient with myself and working on staying positive through adversity.

3. May – Vertigo nearly all gone.  I booked a vacation for myself and hubby to Hawaii.  It had been 5 years since we’d been there.  Our Hawaii vacation was wonderful!  I reconnected with my husband; ate wonderful food; and was surrounded by beauty for a whole week! I was overcome with thankfulness on this vacation.
Overlying theme here was to find time to rest, reconnect and rejuvenate. “Gratefulness” is what I felt in a word.

4. June – This is usually a fun month for me. I celebrate my birthday at the end of the month.  And, I have an annual “Birthday Week”.  I try to schedule things I like to do and/or want to explore.  On some of my adventures I invite my friends to tag along and on some days it’s just for me.  This year it all culminated in a picnic at a local winery for me and my friends.  It was nice and the weather was gorgeous!
Overlying theme was to focus on me and my wants and needs. I matter!

5. The last half of the year flew by – But I think the overall theme was that I found time to work on my home and projects as the days got shorter.  I ramped up my cooking at home.  I spent less time shopping and buying things.  I worked on bumping up my retirement savings – Difficult but worthwhile.
Overlying theme was comfort and security.

Well how’s that for “Five things of value that I did for myself”?  I like it.  On to face the new year.  2013 here I come!

Hugs & Blessings,
Janet J

No comments:

Post a Comment