Here’s a fun little project that I completed last weekend. It’s a long, warm scarf to hold me through
the remaining winter months. I think it’s
a great stash-buster project or up-cycle project. Definitely a great way to use up bits and pieces
of fabric you may have on hand or way to use up old t-shirts or soft sweaters
you no longer wear.
I had this nice piece of velvet that my mom had given me some
time ago. I had no idea what to do with
it, but I loved the jeweled tones which made it look very rich.
![]() |
| Velvet fabric remnant. Nice colors! |
The fabric had lots of cut outs as it was a remnant from
some other garment that someone else had done.
I’m sure my mom got it at a garage sale as she loves garage sales. :)
Anyway, I noticed that what was leftover was actually a long
piece of fabric - VERY long and narrow.
![]() |
| Checking length against another scarf I have. |
Now that gave me an idea for making it into a scarf. And if you know me, I love scarves. All sizes.
All weights. I use them to dress
up my outfits, to keep me warm, and to tie my hair back.
This was going to be a “keep me warm” scarf.
What I did:
I measured another scarf I had in order to come up with a
length and width that I like.
I needed about 70 inches in length by 13 inches width for my
project. I was shy about a good 15
inches in length so I pieced my base together to come up with a 70” x 13”
piece of fabric.
Then, I squared everything off nicely and if you’ve ever worked with velvet then you know this was not easy as it slips around a lot! But, I got it done.
Next, I chopped off some fringe from an old shawl that I
had, which I never used. Because,
really, fringed shawls are not my thing!
I took the black fringe off of that shawl and cut it down into two 13
inch wide sections.
I then sewed one set of fringe onto each end of my fabric.
Lastly, I folded my scarf in half lengthwise with right sides
of the fabric facing together, and I sewed down the length of the scarf on the raw edge using
about a half-inch seam. This made a very
long tube.
I decided to finish the seams with a zig-zag stitch because I did not want my velvet to shed and unravel. There’s nothing more annoying than bits and pieces of thread all over you!
I decided to finish the seams with a zig-zag stitch because I did not want my velvet to shed and unravel. There’s nothing more annoying than bits and pieces of thread all over you!
My finished scarf is kinda cool looking and is toasty warm. What do you think? I love it! It goes great with my black chenille sweater. :-)
I think you could do this with t-shirt fabric, soft cottons,
flannel, fleece and/or felted wool. You
can omit the fringe or maybe use pompoms for a cute effect.
I like the idea of re-purposing old t-shirts or sweaters for
this. In the future, I’d probably do
something that is pieced and “patch-worky” (is that a word? I say yes!). I also think I’m going to make a softer version
as an infinity scarf using this same technique. Once I do, I’ll post for you to see.
Anyway, I’m giddy over the result! A new scarf and a stash-buster project to
boot!
![]() |
| Terrible selfie - great scarf! |
What could be better? I certainly can’t think of anything.
Cheers,
Janet J.









No comments:
Post a Comment